upcoming 2022 convention!
The 2022 SFRH&MS Convention will be held June 15-19 in Kansas City! Watch this space for more details as they become available! Contact Mike Tomei for additional information
The Society is planning Annual Conventions at the following locations:
- 2022: June: Kansas City, MO, June 15-19, 2022
- 2023: Houston/Galveston, TX, dates TBD
- 2024: Flagstaff, AZ, dates TBD
Past Convention Reports
Read about other prior Annual Conventions and see what members did, learned, and showed!
- 2021 Virtual Convention
- 2020 Virtual Convention
- 2019 Annual Convention, The Chico
- 2017 Annual Convention, The Tulsan
- 2016 Annual Convention, The 2016 Wichita Express
The model contest is divided into two groups: a popular vote contest and a technical contest. In the popular vote contest, all models participate and compete for first, second and third place ribbons and “Best of Show” based on the number of votes that they receive from attendees. Popular vote categories include steam locomotive; diesel locomotive; multiple unit diesel locomotive; freight car; passenger car; intermodal equipment (cars and support equipment); caboose/way car; maintenance of way; and structure/diorama. In the technical contest, models are judged by interested members based on prototype fidelity (10 points), modeling effort and proficiency (10 points) and finish and weathering (5 points), with 22 points required for a Certificate of Technical Excellence, 18 points for a Certificate of Technical Merit, and the best overall model scoring 22 points or more receiving the President’s Award for Technical Excellence. Technical contest categories include: motive power; rolling stock; and structures.
If you would like to learn more about the Model Contest, click on the following links:
- ATSF Model Contest Rules
- ATSF Model Contest Entry Form
- ATSF Model Technical Contest Form
- BNSF Model Contest Rules
- BNSF Model Contest Entry Form
- BNSF Model Technical Contest Form
Model Photo Contest
Our Mini-Meets are regional based gatherings generally one half to one day long on a Saturday. Interested members have organized these meets in areas not regularly visited by our conventions allowing us to reach the East Coast and the Pacific Northwest. A mini meet may include;
- Clinics by experts on various aspects of Santa Fe history and modeling. Some of these clinics are “warm ups'” for a presenter who will be at a future Annual Convention.
- Models on display for close up viewing and discussions with the builder.
- Networking with fellow Society members who live close by and a good way to attract new members.
The Society is pleased to announce that MINI-MEETS are restarting! Here are the planned mini-meets so far:
- October 9, 2021, Denver Area Mini-Meet. 9 am to 1 pm. Lone Tree Library, 10055 Library Way, Lone Tree, CO 80124. Cost: FREE. Program includes:
- Marshall Hancock, Canyon Diablo Bridge – The Model
- Joe McMillan, Highlights from his Latest Book (and other stories)
- Denny Krausman, Researching and Modeling Boxcars 1955 to 1970
- Contact: Denny Krausman at firstname.lastname@example.org for additional information.
- March 12, 2022, Indianapolis Santa Fe Mini-Meet. Time 9 am to 5 pm. Allisonville Christian Church, 7701 Allisonville Rd, Indianapolis, IN 46250. Cost is $15 prepaid and $20 at the door.
- Clinics include:
- James Brown, “ATSF History of Chillicothe, IL with Edelstein Hill and Memories of Paul Nash”
- Ramon Rhodes, “The Santa Fe Railway in Chicago During the 1990s”
- John DePamemelaere, “From Switchman to Road Foreman, and all the time in between (San Diego and the Fourth District)
- Keith Jordan, “The Redlands Loop, Modeling a Santa Fe Southern California Branchline and Memories of Warren Scholl”
- Bruce McKeown, “One Can Still Make Models for our Model Railroads, Part Two”
- Download Flyer
- Contact: Thomas Cain at email@example.com for additional information.
- Clinics include:
Please send us your planned mini-meets so other Santa Fe fans can attend! We are looking for a new Southern California Mini-Meet coordinator. If interested, contact mailto:Pres@atsfrr.net.
- 2019 November: Kansas City Minimeet Report
- 2017 Spring: Indianapolis Minimeet Report
- 2017 February: Southern California Minimeet Report
- 2016 November: Kansas City Minimeet Report
- 2014 Spring: Indianapolis Minimeet Report
- 2006 April: Northwest Minimeet
- 2003 March: East Coast Santa Fe Modelers Meet
- 2017 October: Chicagoland RPM Meet