2021 Virtual convention program schedule – june 26, 2021!
The Society is pleased to announce the schedule for its Second Virtual Convention to be held on Saturday, June 26, 2021 from 11:00 am to 5:45 pm EDT.
|11:00 AM EDT/10:00 AM CDT/9:00 AM MDT/8:00 AM PDT||Welcome/Introduction||Eric Hiser|
|11:15 AM EDT/10:15 AM CDT/9:15 AM MDT/8:15 AM PDT||Clinic: BNSF Art Collection||Bradley Houston|
|12:15 PM EDT/11:15 AM CDT/10:15 AM MDT/9:15 AM PDT||Clinic: Modeling ATSF GP39-2s||Mike Tomei|
|1:15 PM EDT/12:15 PM CDT/11:15 AM MDT/10:15 AM PDT||Break/Slide show||Eric Hiser|
|1:45 PM EDT/12:45 PM CDT/11:45 AM MDT/10:45 AM PDT||Clinic: Memories of the New Mexico Transcon||Evan Werkema|
|2:45 PM EDT/1:45 PM CDT/12:45 PM MDT/11:45 AM PDT||Annual Business Meeting||Paul Brown|
|5:45 PM EDT/4:45 PM CDT/3:45 PM MDT/2:45 PM PDT||Close||Eric Hiser|
Bradley Houston is an art advisor at C2Art Advisors and works with the BNSF collection
Mike Tomei is the Society’s Vice President and a well-known modeler of modern diesels
Evan Werkema is a member of the Society and is well known for his extensive knowledge of things Santa Fe
Back up clinic is Trains 13 and 14 by Bob Walz
Registration Fee is $10.00. Register HERE.
The Society is planning Annual Conventions at the following locations:
- 2022: June: Kansas City, MO, contact Mike Tomei
Past Convention Reports
Read about other prior Annual Conventions and see what members did, learned, and showed!
- 2020 Virtual Convention
- 2019 Annual Convention, The Chico
- 2017 Annual Convention, The Tulsan
- 2016 Annual Convention, The 2016 Wichita Express
The model contest is divided into two groups: a popular vote contest and a technical contest. In the popular vote contest, all models participate and compete for first, second and third place ribbons and “Best of Show” based on the number of votes that they receive from attendees. Popular vote categories include steam locomotive; diesel locomotive; multiple unit diesel locomotive; freight car; passenger car; intermodal equipment (cars and support equipment); caboose/way car; maintenance of way; and structure/diorama. In the technical contest, models are judged by interested members based on prototype fidelity (10 points), modeling effort and proficiency (10 points) and finish and weathering (5 points), with 22 points required for a Certificate of Technical Excellence, 18 points for a Certificate of Technical Merit, and the best overall model scoring 22 points or more receiving the President’s Award for Technical Excellence. Technical contest categories include: motive power; rolling stock; and structures.
If you would like to learn more about the Model Contest, click on the following links:
- ATSF Model Contest Rules
- ATSF Model Contest Entry Form
- ATSF Model Technical Contest Form
- BNSF Model Contest Rules
- BNSF Model Contest Entry Form
- BNSF Model Technical Contest Form
Model Photo Contest
Our Mini-Meets are regional based gatherings generally one half to one day long on a Saturday. Interested members have organized these meets in areas not regularly visited by our conventions allowing us to reach the East Coast and the Pacific Northwest. A mini meet may include;
- Clinics by experts on various aspects of Santa Fe history and modeling. Some of these clinics are “warm ups'” for a presenter who will be at a future Annual Convention.
- Models on display for close up viewing and discussions with the builder.
- Networking with fellow Society members who live close by and a good way to attract new members.
The Society’s minimeets have been cancelled or postponed due to the COVID-19 situation. As soon as we learn of the next scheduled event, we will post here. Please send us your planned mini-meets so other Santa Fe fans can attend!
We are looking for a new Southern California Mini-Meet coordinator. If interested, contact mailto:Pres@atsfrr.net.
- 2019 November: Kansas City Minimeet Report
- 2017 Spring: Indianapolis Minimeet Report
- 2017 February: Southern California Minimeet Report
- 2016 November: Kansas City Minimeet Report
- 2014 Spring: Indianapolis Minimeet Report
- 2006 April: Northwest Minimeet
- 2003 March: East Coast Santa Fe Modelers Meet
- 2017 October: Chicagoland RPM Meet