2021 annual convention – transcon nm 140 – albuquerque, new mexico – june 15-20, 2021!
Updated: January 4, 2021. The Board is seeking input on whether to try to hold the 2021 Albuquerque Convention. Take the SURVEY. Survey closes January 15, 2021.
DATES: *15-20 June, 2021 Marriott Pyramid North
CONVENTION HOTEL: Marriott Pyramid North
- Convention regular room rate is $99/night (these rates are good from June 13, 2021 to June 21, 2021). Our Motto: Arrive early and stay late! Reservations must be booked before May 21, 2021. We are checking on status of suites.
- Reservations: Marriott Reservation Link for Group Rate (Marriott Bonvoy members may want to have their ID available)
The ’21 AQ convention, with a few exceptions, is going to focus on the 140 year railroad history of the NM-segment of the Southern Transcon. Since that history begins with track laying by the Atlantic & Pacific RR (Western Div.), a 50% interest of the AT&SF, in 1880, coverage will also include the northern AZ history. We are working to reschedule our speakers and clinicians. So far, most have indicated that they will be able to participate.
TENTATIVE EXTRA FARES ( subject to adjustment ):
Tuesday, June 15 – bus(s) to Las Vegas, ride Amtrak SW Chf #3 to AQ depot; bus(s) will return us to hotel; lunch at Castaneda; Allan Affeldt will say a few words. (full-day). Attendees limited to 90 first come, first served.
Wednesday, June 16 – bus(s) to Santa Fe, ride Santa Fe Southern to Lamy and return; lunch at Lamy; Allan Affeldt will say a few words. (full-day). Attendees limited to 150-ish, first-come, first served.
Thursday, June 17 – bus(s) to 2926 restoration site, lunch there (2926 will host, donations welcome!), followed by: the National Museum of Nuclear Science & History (some may do Museum first, followed by 2926) (easy full-day).
Friday, June 18 (during clinics) – bus/van to Acoma/Sky City, lunch on your own there. (very full-day)
Saturday, June 29 (during clinics) – bus(s) to Indian Pueblo Cultural Ctr., lunch on your own there. (half-day)
Note: Regular convention clinics, vendor room, and contest will occur on Friday and Saturday, with the Annual Business Meeting on Sunday.
OTHER ACTIVITIES AND PLANS:
Evening Guest speakers:
All guest speakers are preceded by a social hour.
Wednesday, June 16, 7:30 PM – Laguna Pueblo speaker on their relation with the AT&SF and the Flowers Agreement (REQUESTED)
Thursday, June 17, 7:30 PM – Joe Sloan, BNSF – Recent Improvements and Current Operations on the Transcon (REQUESTED)
Friday, June 18, 7:30 PM – Chelsea Marshall, C2 Art Advisors, The BNSF/AT&SF art collection (REQUESTED)
- Jurgen Dietrichkeit – Scaling Immensity – Lessons learned from modeling a subdivision (the Belen cut-off)
- Matthias Meeh – Modeling AT&SF searchlight signals (Jurgen’s layout)
- Randy Dunson – Railroader’s history of the Belen cut-off
- Al Hovey – New Members and Interest: introducing young people to modeling
- William Penner – Boom and Bust on the Belen cut-off
- Fred Isbell – Modeling the BNSF Transition Era
- Al Richmond – The Enigma: a photographer named Sanders (A&P 1880’s photos)
- George Shaw – History of the A&P RR (and its Western Division; NM & AZ)
- John Taylor – Jack Delano’s 1943 photos of the NM & AZ AT&SF “Transcon” and 2926: restoring and operating – lessons learned
- Mike Tomei – Modeling AT&SF’s GP-39-2s.
- Bob Walz – Santa Fe Locomotive Servicing Facilities, Clovis-Gallup and Santa Fe Trains 13 & 14
- Evan Werkema – Photographing the NM Transcon in the 70s/80s
- Stan Kistler — DVD video presentation: Remembering the Santa Fe
Registration will reopen on July 1, 2020. There are THREE TYPES of registration for the 2021 Convention:
- FULL REGISTRATION. Full registration gets the registrant unlimited access to the Convention and comes with 1 Awards Banquet Dinner, 1 Sunday Breakfast, 1 Convention Patch, 1 Convention Pin and access to the Extra Fares (for an additional fee). Full registrants may also register family members (see Family registration). Cost is $178 until May 23, then $205, per full registrant.
- FAMILY REGISTRATION. A Full Registrant may register family members (spouse, significant other, or person under age 18) accompanying the Full Registrant. This is done by adding their name when asked and clicking family registrant. A Family registrant gets unlimited access to the Convention and the Extra Fares (for an additional fee). A Family Registrant must PURCHASE an Awards Banquet meal, Sunday Breakfast, Convention Patch or Convention Pin (or any other merchandise) separately–there will be a list of all registrants tied to the Full Registrant and click what you want for each person when selecting sessions/items. Cost is $25 per family member.
- ONE-DAY (Friday-only or Saturday-ony). A One Day Registrant gets unlimited access to the Convention except for the Awards Banquet and Sunday Breakfast. One Day Registrants are not eligible for the Extra Fares unless they do not fill up. Cost is $35/day per registrant, must select either Friday or Saturday.
One limitation of the on-line registration is that it cannot handle “multiple” items (e.g., more than 1 shirt per person, more than 1 pin per person). You can order 1 additional patch, pin, Banquet ticket or Breakfast ticket by selecting that item. If you need more, you must contact the Registrar, Dave Kampsnider, at firstname.lastname@example.org and make separate arrangements. We regret any inconvenience.
Planning to Participate in the Model or Photo Contest? Here’s more information:
The model contest is divided into two groups: a popular vote contest and a technical contest. In the popular vote contest, all models participate and compete for first, second and third place ribbons and “Best of Show” based on the number of votes that they receive from attendees. Popular vote categories include steam locomotive; diesel locomotive; multiple unit diesel locomotive; freight car; passenger car; intermodal equipment (cars and support equipment); caboose/way car; maintenance of way; and structure/diorama. In the technical contest, models are judged by interested members based on prototype fidelity (10 points), modeling effort and proficiency (10 points) and finish and weathering (5 points), with 22 points required for a Certificate of Technical Excellence, 18 points for a Certificate of Technical Merit, and the best overall model scoring 22 points or more receiving the President’s Award for Technical Excellence. Technical contest categories include: motive power; rolling stock; and structures.
If you would like to learn more about the Model Contest, click on the following links:
- ATSF Model Contest Rules
- ATSF Model Contest Entry Form
- ATSF Model Technical Contest Form
- BNSF Model Contest Rules
- BNSF Model Contest Entry Form
- BNSF Model Technical Contest Form
Model Photo Contest
The Society is planning Annual Conventions at the following locations:
- 2022: June: Kansas City, MO, contact Mike Tomei
Past Convention Reports
Read about other prior Annual Conventions and see what members did, learned, and showed!
- 2020 Virtual Convention
- 2019 Annual Convention, The Chico
- 2017 Annual Convention, The Tulsan
- 2016 Annual Convention, The 2016 Wichita Express
Our Mini-Meets are regional based gatherings generally one half to one day long on a Saturday. Interested members have organized these meets in areas not regularly visited by our conventions allowing us to reach the East Coast and the Pacific Northwest. A mini meet may include;
- Clinics by experts on various aspects of Santa Fe history and modeling. Some of these clinics are “warm ups'” for a presenter who will be at a future Annual Convention.
- Models on display for close up viewing and discussions with the builder.
- Networking with fellow Society members who live close by and a good way to attract new members.
The Society’s minimeets have been cancelled or postponed due to the COVID-19 situation. As soon as we learn of the next scheduled event, we will post here. Please send us your planned mini-meets so other Santa Fe fans can attend!
We are looking for a new Southern California Mini-Meet coordinator. If interested, contact mailto:Pres@atsfrr.net.
- 2019 November: Kansas City Minimeet Report
- 2017 Spring: Indianapolis Minimeet Report
- 2017 February: Southern California Minimeet Report
- 2016 November: Kansas City Minimeet Report
- 2014 Spring: Indianapolis Minimeet Report
- 2006 April: Northwest Minimeet
- 2003 March: East Coast Santa Fe Modelers Meet
- 2017 October: Chicagoland RPM Meet