upcoming 2022 convention: The kansas city chief!
The 2022 Convention Committee is pleased to release the following information about the upcoming 2022 Convention [Updated 6/14/2022]:
Date: June 14-19, 2022
Convention Hotel: DoubleTree by Hilton, Kansas City-Overland Park. Located at 10100 College Boulevard, Overland Park, KS 66210.
Rate: $119/night plus taxes for Society members. This includes: 2 free breakfasts per room for June 14-18 (19th is Annual Business Meeting), free guest parking and free internet. Block rate is in effect from June 11 to June 22 but the additional days do NOT include free breakfast. The cut-off date for the $119 fee is May 24, 2022. To make your reservations:
- Click this link
- Call 913-451-6100, dial “0” for the deck between 9 am and 4 pm U.S. Central Time. Reservation must include some time between June 14-19. Discount code is SF6 SFRH&MS.
WARNING: There is an “early departure fee” of US$75.00 if you need to cut short your stay after you make reservations. If it becomes necessary to leave early, please contact Bob Becker at 219-662-1878 at least 48 hours prior to your departure.
Full Registrants get full access to the Clinics, Vendor Room, the Annual Awards Banquet, the Reception, and the Annual Meeting Breakfast and access to the Extra Fares and Spouse Tours for prices shown. Full registrants will also receive access to the Safe Rail Fan Exploration maps, layout tours and open houses and other activities. Full Registrants will also receive a pin and patch as part of their registration. Full Registration: $189/person May 1 and after. Non-members are $10 more, but Society will refund if you join at the Convention!
Family Registrants get access to the Vendor Room, Annual Awards Banquet, the Reception, and the Annual Meeting Breakfast and access to the Extra Fares and Spouse Tours for prices shown. Family Registrants accompanying a Full Registrant will also get access to layout tours, open houses and other activities. Family Registrants do not get a pin and patch as part of their registration. Family Registration (with Full Registrant): $115/person May 1 and after.
One Day Activity Pass. Access to clinics and vendor rooms on Friday or Saturday. $35/person/day. No access to Extra Fares or Spouse Tours.
Vendor Only Registration. A special registration for vendors who are only participating in the Vendor Room. It does not give access to other Convention activities. Cost is free; tables extra.
Registration link: EVENT REGISTRATION CLOSED.
Need assistance? Contact:
- Registrar, Dave Kampsnider, at email@example.com
- Convention Chair, Mike Tomei, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Preliminary Clinic AND PRESENTATION List:
The Friday Night Talk is on the ATSF 5704 Restoration Story by Stephen Priest.
- John Barry, Modeling Duryea underframe boxcars
- Sammy Carlile, Building the Hereford Sub
- Stuart Forsyth, Cajon at War: Helpers
- Eric Goodman, Building MKM “Bandits”
- Chuck Hitchcock, The Ottawa Junction Railway
- Keith Jordan, Modeling the Redlands Branch in P:48
- Denny Krausman, Modeling The ATSF Built Cars Of The 50’s And 60’s
- Kevin Looff, Giving Your Structures a Stucco Exterior
- Mike Martin, Santa Fe Business Cars I Have Known
- Keel Middleton, Dealing with the Weather on the BNSF Transcon
- Dan Munson, Argentine Yard Operations
- Ramon Rhodes, Modeling the Modern BNSF
- Bob Roth, The White Train
- Karl Schoettlin, What Could Possibly Go Wrong?
- Bob Walz, Argentine Yard History
Andrew Bobis and his Santa Fe All the Way! modules will be set up and operating at the Convention Hotel Thursday through Saturday.
Note that you MUST be registered for the Convention to attend an Extra Fare.
Tuesday, June 14, 2022: LaPlata/Marceline Adventure
Attendees will take Amtrak #4 to LaPlata, Missouri. We will train watch from the platform and then board buses and go to Marceline for lunch, the Disney Museum, and check out Santa Fe equipment. We will return to Kansas City from Marceline. Amtrak fare and lunch included.
Wednesday, June 15, 2022: Ottawa/Topeka/Lawrence Adventure
Attendees will take a trip to the Santa Fe depot and Harvey House museum in Ottawa. Lunch at Ward Meade Park in Topeka with a visit to the restored Pauline depot and caboose. Then down to the Topeka depot and a view of the “returned merchandise warehouse” scheduled for demolition. We will then travel around the BNSF Shops by bus and visit Eastfield Yard. On the way back to Kansas City, we will stop in Lawrence to visit the restored Santa Fe depot.
Thursday, June 16, 2022: Argentine/Logistics Park Adventure
Attendees will take a half day tour through Argentine Yard and Logistics Park.
Spouse Days Out:
Designed for spouses, but we won’t say anything if you take some time off either! Two trips are available. Must be a full or family registrant to attend.
Friday, June 17, 2022: Leavenworth
Will take a bus to Leavenworth, Kansas to visit the Harvey House Museum, eat lunch at the Old Santa Fe Depot Diner and then visit and shop in the historic downtown. .
Saturday, June 18, 2022: Kansas City Union Station!
Trip will visit the iconic Kansas City Union Station, check out the Harvey Girls tour with shopping/lunch on your own or new friends at Crown Center. Mid-afternoon return.
Contact Mike Tomei for additional information
The Society is planning Annual Conventions at the following locations:
- 2023: Houston/Galveston, TX, dates TBD
- 2024: Flagstaff, AZ, dates TBD
Past Convention Reports
Read about other prior Annual Conventions and see what members did, learned, and showed!
- 2021 Virtual Convention
- 2020 Virtual Convention
- 2019 Annual Convention, The Chico
- 2017 Annual Convention, The Tulsan
- 2016 Annual Convention, The 2016 Wichita Express
The model contest is divided into two groups: a popular vote contest and a technical contest. In the popular vote contest, all models participate and compete for first, second and third place ribbons and “Best of Show” based on the number of votes that they receive from attendees. Popular vote categories include steam locomotive; diesel locomotive; multiple unit diesel locomotive; freight car; passenger car; intermodal equipment (cars and support equipment); caboose/way car; maintenance of way; and structure/diorama. In the technical contest, models are judged by interested members based on prototype fidelity (10 points), modeling effort and proficiency (10 points) and finish and weathering (5 points), with 22 points required for a Certificate of Technical Excellence, 18 points for a Certificate of Technical Merit, and the best overall model scoring 22 points or more receiving the President’s Award for Technical Excellence. Technical contest categories include: motive power; rolling stock; and structures.
If you would like to learn more about the Model Contest, click on the following links:
- Technical Contest Rules (ATSF and BNSF)
- ATSF Model Contest Rules
- ATSF Model Contest Entry Form
- ATSF Model Technical Contest Form
- BNSF Model Contest Rules
- BNSF Model Contest Entry Form
- BNSF Model Technical Contest Form
Model Photo Contest
Our Mini-Meets are regional based gatherings generally one half to one day long on a Saturday. Interested members have organized these meets in areas not regularly visited by our conventions allowing us to reach the East Coast and the Pacific Northwest. A mini meet may include;
- Clinics by experts on various aspects of Santa Fe history and modeling. Some of these clinics are “warm ups'” for a presenter who will be at a future Annual Convention.
- Models on display for close up viewing and discussions with the builder.
- Networking with fellow Society members who live close by and a good way to attract new members.
The Society is pleased to announce that MINI-MEETS are restarting! Here are the planned mini-meets so far:
- May 14, 2022, Winslow Santa Fe Mini-Meet. [Updated 4/10/2022] Time 9 am to 3:30 pm. La Posada Resort and Gardens, 303 E. Second Street, Winslow, AZ 86047 (928-289-4366 for La Posada reservations). Cost is $5.00 at the door.
- Clinics include:
- Ray Mlecko, Brief History of Johnson Canyon and Winslow and How I Modeled Them
- Tom McColloch, History of the Santa Fe, Prescott & Phoenix Railway
- Dave Elwood, Santa Fe Operating Rules Class, 1975
- Contact Eric Hiser at ehiser.RR@gmail.com if you need additional information..
- Clinics include:
Please send us your planned mini-meets so other Santa Fe fans can attend! We are looking for a new Southern California Mini-Meet coordinator. If interested, contact mailto:Pres@atsfrr.net.
SFRH&MS Mini-meet Reports
- 2022March: Indianapolis Minimeet Report
- 2019 November: Kansas City Minimeet Report
- 2017 Spring: Indianapolis Minimeet Report
- 2017 February: Southern California Minimeet Report
- 2016 November: Kansas City Minimeet Report
- 2014 Spring: Indianapolis Minimeet Report
- 2006 April: Northwest Minimeet
- 2003 March: East Coast Santa Fe Modelers Meet
- 2017 October: Chicagoland RPM Meet